Thursday, June 20, 2013

Poor Vision?

I don't remember ever seeing clearly.  We think it was caused from an accident when I was very young. I started seeing double and we called it a "lazy eye" and some pretty intense far-sightedness.  I suppose I get along just fine these days.  Thankfully the years of my ENORMOUS, red, Sally Jesse Raphael glasses are over!  My parents invested in some contacts when I was 15 and I was a new gal!  However, since arriving at Camp Marannook, I've noticed that my vision isn't what I thought it was.  My children's vision is WAY better than mine.  Sort of frustrating.

For instance, today at "The Rock," our favorite after dinner hang-out to catch tadpoles and frogs,  Julia mentioned that there were, "a million" tadpoles swimming in one certain area.  I went to look and didn't see one.  Then, tonight, the girls asked to go catch lightening bugs, of course I said yes.  I finished up my Amazon order (I love my free Prime trial membership!) and headed outside.  They said that they could see them all over the place.  Me?  Notsomuch.  I have forgotten.  It's like in Hook when Peter Pan is confronted with the cold hard facts about growing up.  He forgot how to imagine.  I think my vision has failed because I stopped using it.  I stopped looking.

So, tonight I looked.  In fact, I did look pretty hard for those tadpoles, I think she scared them away and they were hiding under the algae.  But I was looking for the fireflies.  Shoes off, age aside, I was running after them.  I haven't caught one, but it's a victory to see them, isn't it?  Then, after we had spun each other around until we fell down giggling into the wet grass (that is SO AWESOME...even more AWESOME is that the maintenance men from camp cut it!  Those of you who know us know what an ENORMOUS deal that is!!!) we lay there watching the stars come out one by one.  I saw them.  At first I could only see 2, but as the night wore on and my eyes adjusted I could see them appear.  It was like we showed up for one of God's daily wonders that we have ignored for quite some time.  I almost wanted to clap and sing, "Again, again...do it again Jesus!"  I didn't sing or clap because Anson was going on and on about the stars fitting into other stars and galaxies and blah blah blah :)  that finally I said we should just be still and listen to the night.  As the night got darker, my sight got clearer.  Probably just another miracle, huh?

Something I have noticed as I've been here almost 4 weeks, is how nervous I get of time.  I think I have trained my children to enjoy down time, but I don't like having "little" to do.  I think as adults we might schedule our children for our own sakes, not theirs.  They are happy laying in the grass...are we?  I'm finding that being here is giving me what I say I want, time with my children, and it's an adjustment.  It's easy to be with my children and never really speak to them...or listen to them. (although Mike just took them to Camp to listen to Mr. Charles read to the staff, they just finished The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and have started the Magicians Nephew...he reads to them for 30 minutes before they go to bed) I'm enjoying the QUIET!

So, I think I'm going to read my new book, Exploring the World of Mathematics, but I just wanted to encourage those of you who read this (I think it's neat that you do) to have your vision checked.  Go to the Great Physician and find out if you are seeing things clearly, or at all.  I'll tell you what, if you aren't seeing things clearly, you are missing out.  Lay a blanket in the yard, spin your kids around until they can't walk straight, my best friend counted how many times they saw fireflies light up in a minute...that's counting God's glory!  Imagine...counting God's glory...did I just make that up?  I think I did, but what a great idea!  Look for it, listen for it, His word promises that if we seek Him, we WILL find Him, if we seek Him with all our heart.  So, I guess I can't remember seeing clearly, until tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this and the other update. I miss you and your family and have been thinking about you all.

~Jessica Chou

Ellen said...

lovely ali. such a good reminder. I didn't know you had a blog, but i'm glad to know now:) we sure do miss you all!