Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Spinning

There are a million things that I wish I could write about, and they are all spinning around and around in my mind. We just finished Vacation Bible School where I taught the Bible Story for the preschoolers. That is so much fun, I did a good bit of thinking creatively and didn't have much to deliver you all a cup of cold water...I handed it out to the children! We discovered who Jesus loves, EVERYONE and it always challenges me. Jesus sets an example for us to follow on how to show love to those around us...whether we like them or not! I almost cried one day when we spoke about Jesus loving the little children. His words were, "Let the children come to me and do not hinder them." As I prayed I just asked the Lord to keep me from being a hindrance. I want to usher children, mine and anyone else's, into the loving arms of Jesus. The first day I told the story of the little children coming to Jesus. I explained that Jesus voice, when speaking to His disciples, was "loud but gentle, stern, but kind." As I was rehearsing I could barely stop crying as the reality of that came to my heart. That is the voice of God. That voice that drips with love while also being what makes the mountains tremble. For some reason as I read those words off of the page, eventhough they were my words, it pierced my heart. I love it that He speaks to His children, I know His voice and He knows my name.

Another big deal around Team Wessner's house was that my husband and I attended our first Homeschool Conference. Now, this blog is not dedicated to that, but I learned so much there. If you do not homeschool and do not want to, you can skip this paragraph, I will not quiz you. If you are going to homeschool or are kicking the tires...I listened to Jessi Wise and Susan Wise Bauer speak on a Classical Education. They wrote the book, The Well-Trained Mind and it was incredible to hear them speak. Sitting in that room, I looked at my friend and said, "I could cry." I know, that may sound crazy, it was just incredible to be in the same room with women of such wisdom, and talk about humble! She worked their table and answered questions that parents had, she even used the regular bathroom! I guess I had her on rock star status...she was one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread. Kelli and I even got our picture taken with her. She was so precious. I think she was surprised that we would want our picture taken with her. I just remembered what I wanted to tell y'all.

If you skipped the last paragraph, pick up here...I learned it at the conference, but I think it can apply to anyone. The first morning we were in ATL (where the conference was) I opened my Bible up and it fell to Nehemiah 2:20, "The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it." As I read the first part of that, immediately I thought of our effort to train our children as a matter of rebuilding. I was relieved when I read that the God of heaven will give us success. Now, I know that this promise was to Nehemiah and his people, but I think this applies to those of us who have committed to doing what He has called us to do. Actually the act of obedience is the success. Moving on, I wanted to read more. I loved Nehemiah's reaction when he heard that his people and their land was in such distress. He first met with God in prayer and then went to the King. He did not hold back when the King asked what he needed to be successful. Nehemiah left with the blessing of the King and before he said anything, he surveyed the land. He checked out the damage. Then, he went to the people and said, "You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been consumed with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem and we will no longer be in disgrace." Then he shared how the hand of the King had been gracious toward them. Do you know what their response was? They said, "Let us start rebuilding." My heart is beating faster even as I type that.

Friends, I do not wish to be gloom and doom, but there are a few areas where the walls are crumbling and the gates have been burned by fire. A couple of weeks ago I heard Kay Arthur warn Christian women about the condition of our country. I felt like this weekend (the homeschool conference) was my application. I'm sure that if Satan had a bullseye that faith, marriage, and families would be on there somewhere...probably pretty close to the middle. We must start rebuilding. Just changing out our habits. Being more intentional in our time with our spouse, or in our conversation with our children. Just rebuilding. Aware of our family members who are far from God and reaching out to them on a regular basis...whether they like it or not. Funny thing, I just now got irritated with my husband because he was talking to me while I was doing this...how's that for a contradiction, boy do I EVER NEED JESUS!!! He is now switching the laundry over so that I can finish this...I have spoken to enough people to know that not everyone is going to homeschool, I get that. What I'm saying is, we must rebuild.

I really believe that families that are surrendered to Jesus will change the world. I think that when parents respect their children and the children respect their parents, the watching world will take notice.

This was a random post, I'm sorry for that, but I needed to catch everyone up on where I was, so that the other posts will make sense. As I change and God works out my failures for His glory, what goes on in my head changes. So, now you are up to speed and my life is about to slow down, sort of, so check back for another cup of cold water soon. Thank you for checking in. I really wish I could personally talk with the people that read this. I would love to share thoughts and prayers...laugh and cry...be mutually encouraged by one another. Maybe one day.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I too, wish that we Christian ladies that blog could all get together and meet one another. I know Kelly, but not as well as I'd like and through her, now you. For me, at least, God has orchestrated this little blog ring for a purpose. It's keeping me focused and plugged in and I thank you for your part in it.

Just His Best said...

Tell it girl!!