Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Set the Table

My children are old enough to help. Anson actually earns a little bit of cash-ola and Julia is learning how to do her jobs in an excellent manner and will earn money when she's older. I love it when they come to me with their willing little spirits and ask, with a twinkle in their eye, "Mom, what can I do to help you?" Now, usually when they ask this I am in the kitchen, so my response is, "Well, for starters you can GET OUT OF HERE I'M TRIPPING ON YOU!" Not really, but it goes something like, "Yes, please clear off the table so we can have dinner." or maybe, "Yes, please put the silverware on the table." You know what they almost always say to me, "No, can I help you." What they mean is, "I want to be near you. I want to watch what you are doing and be helpful." I cannot get them to understand that if they will obey me, they will be helping.

Most "good Christians" ask God, "What can I do to help you?" We want to be useful to Him. We want to have a job to do and know that it is from Him. However, all too often our response to His "job" is, "Well, I don't really want that job. How about..." You know those, "anytime, anywhere, anyone" prayers turn into, "5:00, Monday afternoon, my favorite friend." When God asks you to set the table, do you tell Him you had something else in mind?

I do. I did. You know what He did? He called me on it. I told Him that it was my desire to be used in any way to impact another family for His name. However that may effect my family and my life. I wanted to be sold out. Totally surrendered. I want my life to be nothing compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

For those of you with multiple children, what tends to happen when another child comes and does do the job that you gave to the first job-seeker? The first child flips out and yells, "Mom told me to do that! Stop it! Get out of here!" All of a sudden that job is desirable. The other child recognizes that if they wanted to help, that was their chance.

I don't want to watch someone else set the table when God asked me to do it. The "what" is not the point, it's the "who." I am not serving the what of the job, I am serving the Who of the task. If God asks me to do something, I want to count it pure joy to do whatever seemingly menial task He gives me. Recognizing that it is a privilege to be used by Him, for the purpose of advancing His kingdom.

Are you following me? Serve with joy. Serve with gladness. Don't be afraid of the job. He'll ask someone do it, or better yet, do it Himself. I want to be a part of whatever He's doing. Whatever it costs me.

What has He asked you to do?

He's going to turn my life upside down...starting Monday.

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."
Psalm 84:10

"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22

No comments: