Monday, February 18, 2013

Her eyes lit up when she heard his voice.  "Da-ddy."  Then she mumbled a little something special and then I stole the phone back.  "Oh my word!  Did you hear that?"  "Yes," was the smitten response on the other end.  Little Caroline is about the cutest thing going these days.  She doesn't eat much that grows on trees or from the ground, but we do what we can.  She wanders around pointing and smiling and most everyone complies. I have told them that they must stop or she'll be ruined!!!  But the point of this post...she didn't see his face...she merely knows his voice.

(I wish the dog would stop barking.) When I saw her face light up like that my own heart was reminded of what it's like to know someone's voice.  I know my Dad's voice, and Gary's voice (my step-dad).  They don't typically need to tell me they are the ones speaking to me.  You know what else?  I love to hear them say my name.  Dad calls me Mih-Al or Mih Weh-ner. (I bet you have no idea what the mih or weh sound should say...it's the best I can do)  I know their voice and they know mine.  It's only natural.  What about my other Father?  The One that I haven't yet stood face to face with.  Do I know His voice?  I'd like to think so, but there are times when I question if it's me or Him.  Perhaps the reason Caroline knows Mike's voice is because he has been talking to her since before he saw her face.  He set himself apart by how he pursues her.  He initiates.  He calls her by the name that he gave her.  She can't help but to know his voice.  The same really is true about our own Father.  He has been pursuing us.  He initiates to us.  He calls us by the name He gave us: Redeemed.  We know Him because He knew us first.  It's just that simple.

Isaiah 43:1 - But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!

So, now, enjoy the relationship that He has forged.  Join me as I struggle to sit still long enough to hear Him say my name, and hopefully respond with a, "Yes, Daddy."

No comments: