Friday, September 5, 2008

Fun Friday?

Alright ladies, this is just a day in the life of Ali Wessner. I just want to keep it real...and to share motherhood. So, last Friday night we decided to go to the beach for a week...pictures to come...so we packed up our clean clothes, school work, and headed out. We arrived home yesterday and got unpacked and enjoyed Daddy since he couldn't be with us all week...I probably will not do that again...although I had a great time with my sisters.

So, today was "Fun Friday." We work on a 4 day schedule, so Fridays are reserved for movies, playdates, and planning. I figured we would go to the lending library (if you live in Augusta and you have not gotten a personal tour of this place, let me know!!) I figured we'd invite my friend because I knew she would love it, she did. The lending library is a place where you can check toys/books/games/puzzles/manipulatives out for a month. It's awesome. So, they ran around there and then it was time to go. We checked out and I looked at Mods and said, "I feel like a Cappucino Blast." For those of you who know me...those are a weakness. I actually fasted from them one time because they were becoming an issue, lame, I know. So, of course the kids want donuts...whole donuts. Usually we get 2 munchkins a piece, but it's D week...what the heck! Sprinkles and all. Of course my friend comes in and we have our blast (it's always a blast with Mariam, though!) The kids have their donuts and now we are creeping up on nap time. Actually, we were creeping past naptime. Do you ever do that? You just keep pushing. I have been in nap prison for 6 years. I am a firm believer that children need naps and that they need them for a long time. Today, I decided not to believe that! So, we left there at roughly 2:30 (did I mention I'm still in nap prison) and we still have to return our library books. I figured I should return them before Mike takes my library card because I keep running up ridiculous library fines due largely in part to my irresponsibility. So, guess what, Wal-Mart is just down from the library and I REALLY want to pick up a few things AND I have a gift card. I know I'm pushing it. Ella is screaming for everything. She has pulled her bow out and looks sort of like a street child. She has eaten an entire donut and is CRASHING. However...I WANT TO DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!

Do you know what I just HAD to go to Wal-Mart for? I'm sure you are dying to know...diapers, photo paper, page protectors and cassette tapes. We have stretched our diapers as far as we could. You know, rounding them all up and only changing the "necessary" ones. We found the diapers that were in Grandma's bag, the church bag, the van and my purse. I could have waited, but I didn't want to. I wanted cassette tapes because I borrowed a tape recorder from the Lending Library and I wanted the kids to be able to do their memory work on it. As I was standing waiting to know where they were, the ladies were talking about fancy phones. I felt like a cavewoman standing there gnawing on a turkey leg asking for cassette tapes! They do still make them! The page protectors were for my "week in review" that I do for my pictures and of course the picture paper was for the pictures. So, it wasn't a MUST it was a WANT. Somedays I just want to be first. Somedays I want my schedule to matter the most. Somedays I just want to prioritize me. It's pretty ugly...but I do it. I don't do it often, but I have to admit...I do it.

As we were leaving Wal-Mart there was an older couple loading their car and she was just smiling at me. Ella was, of course, HYSTERICAL! I said, "I pushed it. I knew I was pushing it and I didn't care. I wanted to come here!" She laughed and said she had 3 grandsons. I got in the van and thought, "Please, just get me home!!!"

So, now I'm home. The kids are unwrapping the tapes, and Ella is sleeping. I probably will not put myself first again for a long time...until I need some other really important items from Wal-Mart. Whew...it's hard bein' human!

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

I'm not saying I should not be a priority. My time with God should be a priority, my time with Mike should be a priority...but in motherhood...on most days...they matter more. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to leisurely walk around stores and not say, "Alright, here's the deal...we're going in for these things and we're coming out with these things. Stay in the cart and don't ask questions." Maybe one day they'll even call me to shop with them. We'll maybe get lunch. We'll laugh. Hopefully we'll magnify the Lord together. So, until then...I'll be home by 1:30!!!

Enjoy this day and enjoy your children. Life is but a breath.

Blessings.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I am a firm believer in naps, too...only my son was NOT, and gave them up when we arrived here in Kansas, at the ripe old age of 2 1/2. It was TOUGH on me to be "on" all day and deal with him while trying to be a good wife and "General of Household Operations"...but I survived.

We still have those days where I push it...I push the kids, I push myself, I push all the limits to get what I want to get done. And most times, it's not really as satisfying as it could have been had I just waited a bit.

And say HEY to Mariam for me...didja tell her we're moving back to the south? Did I tell YOU we're moving back to the south?

We'll have to do a Playgroup reunion!

Anonymous said...

I think you wrote this post about me. It sounds like a day in my life- push, push, push- one more thing to do.... and wal-mart. i have been there with hysterical kids... Thank you for this post!
Hope you have a great day!

The Family Senter said...

sounds like we had a very similar day! :-)
it was great to see you today!
hope to see you sunday!

Hadassah said...

"Nap prison" Ha! I live there too. But I can see the key to the prison door, and it is juuuust out of my reach. But it's coming, oh, that day is coming.

Not really sure I want it to!